Two Harbors, Minnesota
Located on the north shore of Lake Superior, Split Rock Lighthouse is one of the most recognizable and scenic landmarks in Minnesota. It started operations in 1910 and was used continually to aid navigation on Lake Superior’s waters until 1969. In 1971, it became part of the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, and in 1976, the Minnesota Historical Society took over its administration, creating the Split Rock Lighthouse Historic Site.
Collaborative Design Group was retained as Restoration Consultant and Historic Preservationist to provide a condition assessment and develop construction documents to preserve and stabilize the lighthouse, dwellings, barns, and fog signal building. Modern forensic investigation techniques and innovative restoration techniques were utilized, including dry ice blasting to sensitively remove paint and clean the cast iron elements of the lighthouse lantern.