The 57,500 sf new Medical Office Building completes the Southdale Medical Campus that has grown to over 350,000 sf since its inception in 1958. A new 1,300 car, 5-level parking ramp was also constructed to meet the needs of the patients and employees, replacing a 3-level ramp that was constructed in 1971. The goal of the project was to expand available parking and maximize the campus office space by constructing an addition on the last available portion of surface parking lot on the property. The project explored a potential new central plant within the parking structure to provide efficient and cost-effective heating and cooling for the entire campus.
An average of 2,800 patients visit the campus daily, along with 70 – 90 deliveries each day, which, along with the tight site, created challenges that required construction phasing and attentive construction administration. The resulting office building is an elegant complement to the existing campus. The building provides improved patient and employee access, generous floor plates for new tenants, modern amenities, an attractive pedestrian courtyard, and much needed loading dock facilities.