University of Minnesota | Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Education Sciences Building, designed by Clarence H. Johnston, was built in 1924 on the east bank of the Mississippi River within the University of Minnesota’s Historic Knoll District. The former industrial building, originally known as the Mineral Resources Research Center, was the birthplace of the Taconite refining process.
Collaborative Design Group was commissioned to restore the 70,000 sf building’s historic façade and renovate the open industrial interior to include offices, research labs, and meeting rooms for the College of Education and Human Development. New concrete floors were added to increase program space and the interior was renovated to provide specialized laboratory space, group meeting rooms for pre K-12 outreach, and a variety of faculty, research, and teaching assistant offices. The exterior red brick was restored, windows and skylights replaced, and new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire-protection systems installed. A completely new building interior was constructed within the historic exterior walls.
Education Sciences Building is one of over 100 projects CDG has completed at the University of Minnesota.